Teacher Resources for SLC
Goals of Student-Led Conferences:
- To encourage students to accept responsibility for their learning.
- To teach students to evaluate their academic performance.
- To engage the parent, the student, and the teacher in honest dialogue.
- To increase parent participation at conference time.
Most of the teacher’s responsibilities occur before the student-led conference takes place. The following is a list of things that teachers should do prior to the conference.
- Train students on student-led conferencing.
- Provide ample time for students to get their portfolios together before the conference.
- Reach out to parents to schedule or confirm their appointments.
During the Conference:
- Encourage the student to keep focused on his or her checklist and portfolio.
- When you have conversation, be positive and supportive, emphasizing the things the student has accomplished. Keep the focus on the student.
- Remind parents to sign the appointment log.
- Encourage parents to use PupilPath and/or Google Classroom in order to be informed of their child's progress.
After the Conference Reflections:
- Were my students prepared?
- Did I think the conferences were effective?
- What might I have done differently?
Resources and Materials:
SLC Newsletter (February 2020)
Network Group Lesson (SLC Prep)